Hired powerboat licensing
Licences must be held for each hired powerboat and their operators must also be licensed under our hire boat licensing scheme.
Licences are subject to conditions and it is important applicants fully understand these conditions before applying.
Hire boat code updated for 2022
You must submit results of a loading and stability test for each boat or class of boats you wish to licence with your application. Full details of test requirements are detailed in the Code for Design, Construction and Operation of Hire Boats.
We have the right to refuse, revoke or suspend licences and in such circumstances operators have the right to appeal through the local magistrates' court or, for conditions relating to construction standards, through the Broads Authority Standards Appeals Panel.
The full conditions for each type of licence along with guidance can be found here:
- Hire boat operators licence (PDF 140kb)
- Hire boat licence (PDF 130kb)
- Passenger boat licence (PDF 138kb)
- Small passenger boat operator licence (PDF 144kb)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 127kb)
Licence application forms
The following application forms can be downloaded and printed:
- Hire boat operator licence application form (PDF 55kb)
- Hire boat licence re-application form (PDF 120kb)
- Hire boat licence schedule (PDF 48kb)
- Small passenger boat operator licence application form (PDF 53kb)
- Small passenger boat schedule (PDF 98kb)
If you have any queries please contact us.