Other complaints procedures

Our 3-stage complaints process covers most types of complaint from the public about our services and performance.

However, a different approach will be used in certain circumstances, including whistleblowing. If your complaint or concern falls into one of the categories below, please contact our Monitoring Officer for advice, or contact the relevant person or organisation directly.


For complaints about all administrative matters, you can contact the Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman, who will look at the way a Broads Authority decision has been made and may take up your complaint. However, the LG&SCO usually prefers that an attempt has first been made to resolve the complaint through the Authority’s complaints process.

Code of Conduct for Members

We have a Member Code of Conduct accompanied by separate guidance on how to make a complaint about a member of the Authority or one of its committees. These complaints are dealt with by our Monitoring Officer (monitoring.officer@broads-authority.gov.uk). A Word version of the complaint form is also available as a separate document to enable electronic completion.

Financial wrongdoings

The Director of Finance, Chief Executive and/or Monitoring Officer will investigate complaints about financial wrongdoings by the Broads Authority.

Unlawful behaviour or action

If a complaint identifies potential unlawful behaviour or action by the Broads Authority, this will be referred to the Authority's Monitoring Officer for assessment on how this should be progressed. If a complaint suggests criminal behaviour, the Monitoring Officer will consider if it is appropriate to notify the Police.

Planning appeals

The law allows an appeal to be made against certain planning decisions. To find out more, visit our planning permission web pages.

Unreasonable complainant behaviour

A small number of complainants can be considered unreasonably persistent and/or vexatious. The Policy on the Management of Unreasonable Complainant Behaviour identifies these situations, and outlines how they are responded to.